Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Grow Your Love for Knitting

I would like to share with everyone some things I have learned and if your interested in furthering your own knitting skills keep reading!

1. Buy Wool Online: In Canada our resources for wool are limited. You can find basic wool/yarn at Michaels, Walmart, DeSerres and other depertment stores, however, selection is limited, pricy, and poor quality. Even local small business in Vancouver, Canada carry some of the yarn found online, but with fewer colours and again PRICY (sometimes triple the price). My favourite websites to price and compare yarn: WEBS Yarn, KnitPicks, LoveKnitting. I always take advantage of their free shipping and promotions to save even more. 

2. My Go-To Yarns:
Cascade 220 Worsted Weight Wool (100% Wool / 220 Yards per ball / @ $9.00 a ball) - Offers the most yardage, quality, colour variety, and affordability. I recently completed the Ramona Cardigan using "Rainier Heather 9454" by Cascade 220 using only 3.5 balls @ $9.00 each, I am so happy with the result. 

Wool of the Andes Worsted Yarn (100% Peruvian Highland Wool / 110 yards per ball / @ $2.69 a ball) - Half the price and half the yardage when compared to Cascade 220 Worsted Yarn and also not as soft, but 110 colours to choose from and great for jackets/cardigans and other projects where softness is less of an issue. 

3. Join Ravelry: If your looking for a constant flow of inspiration and a gathering of like-minded people all on one site, Ravelry is the answer  Whenever I have a case of knitters block this site always helps. Find me on Ravelry!

4. Supporting Artists and Paying for Patterns: Now being able to purchase and download patterns straight to my computer or iPhone makes my life so much easier and my pattern selection broader. I always check the reviews and other peoples projects before purchasing to make sure the pattern is a good one! 
Favourite Places to Purchase New Patterns: RavelryEtsy, Amazon.ca, KnitPicks, WEBS Yarn, Love Knitting

5. Photographing Projects: Photographing my progress and completed products helps to keep me inspired and motivated. I always add my WIPS and eventually pictures of the completed product to Ravelry. Its fun to browse through all the projects I have completed over the years because I tend to forget some of the things I've made, especially if I have gifted it to someone!

Thanks for reading!
Please share your tips & tricks in the comments below. 
I would love to hear from fellow knitters.